Gratitude- A Way of Life
“Let us arise and be thankful, for if we didn’t learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn’t learn a little, at least we didn’t get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn’t die; so, let us all be thankful.” These are some alluring lines that Gautam Buddha once said and I firmly believe in them. We all have something or the other to be grateful for, no matter what’s going in our lives. When I started my journey of gratitude, in the initial days I could not find more than one thing to be grateful for. There were days where I could not even find one thing to be grateful for. This happens and will happen to anyone and everyone who is a newbie at expressing gratitude.
But you don’t have to worry about it, all you need to do is just give it some time. New things are not always comfortable and also nothing grows in one’s comfort zone. So, if you have to grow and become a better version of yourself then you need to come out of your cocoon. In the words of Brian Tracy, you must develop an attitude of gratitude, and give thanks for everything that happens to you, knowing that every step forward is a step towards achieving something bigger and better than your current situation.
There will be times when your mind will be bombarded with the question that why should one even express gratitude. Whenever such a question comes to you just recall the lines Sonja Lyubomirsky said, “Gratitude is an antidote to negative emotions, a neutralizer of envy, hostility, worry, and irritation. It is savoring; it is not taking things for granted; it is present-oriented.” This will automatically answer all the questions that you have.
The next question that can come to your mind is how should one express gratitude. Now this question has no finite answer because it varies from person to person. What may work for someone may not work for you. So, the best answer to this question is to go for something that suits you or for that matter excites you. Gratitude can be expressed by speaking, writing, reading, or feeling. You just need to figure out what you would like to do and once you are done with that you can go ahead with the process of expressing gratitude.
“As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.” These are some well-known lines by John F. Kennedy and it somewhere sums up the process of expressing gratitude. Mark my words, gratitude can change your life upside down. Gratitude has the power to make you or destroy you so be cautious while dealing with it. Also, keep in mind that gratitude is not a part of your life rather it is a way of living. If you choose to live with gratitude, you will see that automatically everything will start working out for you and you will be a happy person altogether.
Stories of Gratitude
Before I move on to the affirmations that you can use while expressing gratitude, I would like to tell you a small story. This story will help you get a better idea of gratitude. This will also help you get rid of most of the questions you have about gratitude. It will clear your mind and it is important because a clear and calm mind will help you listen to your heart more clearly. So, let’s just take a deep dive into the story and squeeze out all the lessons that we can learn from it.
The story is about a small farmer, who belonged to the country of India. India is primarily known for its agriculture and many people in India practice it as their daily occupation. His name was Mohan and his ancestors were farmers too. He was taught everything about agriculture by his father and grandfather. One thing that everyone loved about Mohan was his ability to be thankful for anything and everything. In 2001 there was a shortage of rainfall in India, everyone was worried about their crops. Mohan was also stressed but still, he was grateful for everything. He asked the villagers to also be thankful and also trust the universe because whatever happens, happens for good. There were a lot of people who laughed at him thinking that how can someone look for the silver lining in such times of despair. Tyler Knott Gregson once said and I quote, “We are the silver lining in any and every dark cloud we could ever find. There is no need to go looking for the light when you bring it with you.” These lines themselves prove that there exists a silver lining in any and every situation. Now when I learned about this story the biggest question, I had in my mind was what is the advantage of being grateful. I hope that many of you would have the same question, so let me answer that for you. It is important to be grateful because 1) when you are grateful you will see that you are automatically very happy 2) when you are grateful for everything you will see that the universe will give you more opportunities to be thankful for.
Mohan also got an opportunity like this. At the start of July, there was heavy rain in India and this solved the problem of all the countrymen including Mohan. But the most important part was that the crops harvested from Mohan’s land were exceptionally healthy and he got a handful amount of money for the same when compared to others. I hope this story somewhere or the other clears your mind about the power of being grateful. James E. Faust said that as with all commandments, gratitude is a description of a successful model of living also the thankful heart opens our eyes to a multitude of blessings that continually surround us. In a world where you can be anything try to be grateful because this will help you achieve everything; you have ever wanted.
List of Affirmations
Now let us go through a list of affirmations that can help you express your gratitude towards the universe. You can use these affirmations in whichever way you want. All you need to do while using these affirmations is to have a firm belief in them. The affirmations are mentioned below you can go through them one by one.
1. I am grateful for the safety and security of my house and I know that no danger can harm it.
2. I am grateful for the lessons that each experience has taught me and I wish to apply these lessons in my everyday life.
3. I am thankful for the steady flow of cash in my life. I will always have enough money and will never fall short of money.
4. I understand how lucky I am to have so many people who care about me. These people are genuine and can do anything for me.
5. I am grateful for having access to nutritious food and safe drinking water and I know that these things will be there with me till the very end.
6. I’m grateful to everyone who helped me bring food to my table. I am grateful for the fact that there is always enough on my plate and I don’t have to think before eating. Thank you, universe.
7. Every person I encounter has something to teach me. I appreciate their insight as these teachings have helped me and are also helping me live a more purposeful life.
8. I recognize the priceless gift of human life and I am thankful for it.
9. My lovely family means the world to me, and I cherish them. I am grateful for the health and well-being of my entire family.
10. My friends improve my life in immeasurable ways, and I am grateful for every one of them. I am also grateful for the fact that these people will be there in my life forever and ever.
11. My pets provide me with unconditional love and comfort. I am so fortunate to have them and love them whenever I want.
12. I like nature in all of its splendor, and I enjoy connecting with her daily. I am grateful for the fact that nature is accepting me and is providing me with all it has.
13. I’m grateful for everything my amazing physique allows me to do and I know that this physique will always be there with me no matter what.
14. My children assist me in the development of patience, kindness, and playfulness. I owe them a debt of gratitude. I also thank the universe for giving me a second chance to learn anything and everything.
15. My mistakes have made me stronger, thus I am grateful for them. I am also grateful for the fact that I don’t repeat the same mistake more than once.
16. I am grateful for every beautiful moment that I have lived until now.
17. Everyone, including me, has a brightness that I perceive and enjoy. I thank the universe for giving this brightness to everyone.
18. I am grateful to the universe for all of the amazing things that have happened in my life thus far and I know the same will continue until my last breath.
19. Every blessing, no matter how insignificant, is acknowledged by me. I am also open to receiving more of such blessings.
20. I am grateful for the opportunity to learn, grow, and develop. I am also keen on getting more such opportunities.
21. I am overwhelmed by the abundance I see all around me and I know that this abundance will never leave me.
22. Fortunately, I can make my aspirations a reality. I am grateful for all the aspirations that have become a reality and I hope that more such affirmations get converted into realities.
23. I am eternally grateful for all the love that has been given to me or has been received by me in my life. I wish for such abundance till my last breath.
24. I am aware of the opportunities that the universe provides, and I am grateful for each one of them. Thank you, dear universe.
25. Now that I’m grateful I see the world in a different light. Every day is a gift and an opportunity for me. I thank the universe for the same.
26. I am grateful to my parents for their love and guidance. I know they gave it their all and I am so lucky to have them in my life.
27. I value my fortitude and perseverance. I’m confident in my ability to live and I know that I will prosper using these abilities of mine.
28. I shall be eternally grateful to every instructor who has aided my learning and developed me into the person I am today. I am also grateful for the fact that all these learnings have always helped me in times of despair.
29. I am grateful for my unique inventiveness and ability to make a difference in other people’s lives. I wish I continue doing this until my last breath.
30. I’m grateful for being able to express gratitude because I know it leads to joy, tranquility, and the life of my dreams.
31. I live in a grateful state and am eternally thankful for the assistance and support of individuals who have aided me along the journey. I hope these people never leave me alone.
32. When I work hard on something, I usually succeed. As a result, I am grateful for the outcomes and enjoy the work I do daily. I also know that I will get anything and everything I ever want, all I need to do is a little bit of hard work.
33. While my ideas may change from day to day, my gratitude goes well beyond what I consider daily. Every step and action I do reflects my appreciative spirit because I know the more thankful, I become the more opportunities will come my way.
34. I am always grateful for the affection I receive, even if I don’t express it every day. I do my best to provide love to everyone around me and am also glad for the love I have yet to receive.
35. I’m keeping the door open to more blessings since I’m appreciative now. I am grateful for whatever I receive, even though I do not demand it. Thank you universe for always having my back.
36. I am overjoyed and appreciative of what I have. While I may be preoccupied with the material world, I am aware that there is more to life than that. I am grateful for everything that this life has to offer.
37. Every day, I am glad for the beauty that I observe in the natural world around me. I realize I don’t take enough time to appreciate things, but that doesn’t take away the fact that I am thankful for anything and everything around me.
38. The happier I am and the better my life becomes the more I pay attention to everything in life that is working in my favor. I am grateful for shifting my energy from the negative to the positive.
39. No matter how black the days may seem, I will always strive to find something to admire in my life. There is always something for which I am thankful because there is always a silver lining no matter what the situation is.
40. I treat my pets as if they were part of my family, and I am grateful for their unconditional love, support, and warmth. I am also grateful for the love that I receive from all of them.
41. The arms of wealth will be extended to me as long as I handle this situation with gratitude. I know I don’t think about it every day, but I trust my spirit to lead me in the right direction. I have tried this before and I know that this works out for me every single time.
42. Today, I come to my spouse in peace. To do this, I approach my spouse with a thankful heart, ready to receive the benefits of our connection. I am grateful for the new bond and relation that is developing between us.
43. Because I believe that all creatures are holy, I treat them as such. They are revered for the daily benefits they bestow on mankind and because of this, I am grateful for all the creatures present on this mother earth.
44. Every day is an opportunity to learn something new. Today, I’m learning to be grateful for what I have while also anticipating what is still to come. I hope I maintain this habit throughout my life.
45. I am more powerful than I realize, and I am capable of achieving everything I set my mind to. I am grateful for everything that the universe has bestowed upon me.
46. I’ve come to appreciate all of the joy that has previously occurred in my life and will occur in the future. In a willing and open posture of thankfulness, I all the blessings the universe has to offer.
47. As the maker of my world, I accept responsibility for it. I am grateful for all that has happened in my life thus far, and I will express this gratitude every day no matter what the situation is.
48. I’m confident that things will continue to improve in my life. I am grateful for that and I know that the universe will never leave me alone.
49. I’m confident that my hard work is paying off in my life. I am grateful for these advances and I will make sure that I never stop working hard.
50. I have faith that the cosmos is working for my highest good. As a result, I choose to see this as a season in my life that I will cherish and I hope there will come a time where I will be able to appreciate anything and everything that happens in my life.
51. Because of the challenges I’ve faced along the way and the way the universe has helped me come out of it, I’m in a continual state of gratitude. I also wish to maintain this state forever.
52. Everything that has happened in my life has made me grateful. It is because of this gratitude that I can keep my door open to future blessings and everything else that the universe has to offer.
53. Because they materialize in everything I do, my dreams and desires are a part of me. I am grateful for all of them.
54. My health is good, and I am glad about that. It empowers me to live each day to the utmost. My good health is also the reason for my happiness.
55. I am grateful for the plethora of excellent things in my life and I wish such things keep coming to me.
56. Right now, all I have is this moment, and it’s more than enough. I am living this moment to its best and I am grateful for it.
57. I’m going to pause for a few minutes every day from now on and be grateful. This will enable me to appreciate the wonders of life and the superpowers of the universe.
58. In my life, there is a significant amount of abundance, and I am grateful for it today, tomorrow, and every single day.
59. I’m grateful to have an attitude that continues to broaden my horizons. It introduces me to a variety of lifestyle options, all of which lead to satisfaction. This satisfaction allows me to live a fulfilled life.
60. In my heart, there resides an entire universe. It motivates me and gives me energy every day. I am grateful for this and I know that the universe will always be there for me no matter what happens.
61. My best buddy is someone who has always been there for me and that buddy is no one but the universe. I am grateful that I refuse to take this universe for granted.
62. I put in a request, and it was granted. I am grateful for this. Every day, I will attempt to live with a stronger sense of gratitude because gratitude is the only way to live a happy life.
63. Whatever I require or desire, I am confident that the universe will provide it. It will always provide me with everything I need and exactly at the moment when I need it.
64. I’m glad for the richness and fluidity in my life right now. I am appreciative of the easy ride the universe has provided for me and I hope this ride continues till my last breath.
65. I’d like to express my gratitude to the Universe for providing me with fun, wealth, and joy. I’m content with how I’m feeling right now and I am thankful for it.
66. Even though some people don’t perceive me that way, I am deserving of love. I am content with what I am doing since it provides me great pleasure and I know that the universe is always there to support me.
67. I have a wonderful family who has supported me every step of the way. I am grateful for them and do not take them for granted. They mean the world to me. I am also the best version of myself when I am around them.
68. I embrace my burdens as well as my blessings. As a result, I strive to marry the two (burdens and blessings) and perceive my troubles as blessings.
69. Each day will be a fresh start for me. I’m not going to take any day for granted, and I’m going to appreciate every single one of them because I cannot waste any more days of my life.
70. I’m aware that each day will put forth fresh obstacles. I welcome them and I am confident that they will help me grow as a person. Every day, I will endeavor to be a better person than the day before and I know I can do this.
71. I am appreciative of the incredible growth possibilities that the universe has provided me and I am trying my best to use all of them. To squeeze every drop of the opportunity is what my target is.
72. Every day, the cosmos blesses me in a variety of ways. Even though I don’t acknowledge them, I am grateful for what they have done for me, are doing for me, and will be doing for me.
73. Every day, I need to take a moment to show thankfulness for what I have. I recognize that I must make an effort to express gratitude because my life events have shaped who I am now. I am grateful for everything that has happened so far.
74. Even though some days may be tumultuous, I am making a conscious effort to seek serenity. I put my faith in the universe for my well-being and I know that the universe will never break my faith.
75. I’ve decided to be grateful for the light I see this first morning. It gives me the energy and strength that I need to become the person I know I can be.
76. I am grateful for the opportunity to live and also for every single breath. I know life is tough but I also know that I can do it.
77. I am grateful to the Universe for all of my blessings and I am ready to receive similar blessings in the coming days.
78. I’m learning to be appreciative for what I have while anticipating what is ahead and I am grateful for this.
79. I am eternally grateful for the love I can give and the love I have received until now.
80. Whatever has occurred, and whatever will happen, I am confident that I will be able to be grateful every single time.
81. I am grateful for the helpful guides that arrive in the most unexpected places and guide me with regards to how should I deal with a particular situation.
82. Now that I’m appreciative, I’m leaving the door open for further blessings or anything else that the universe has to give.
83. Even devastation can lead to transformation, and my thankfulness grows as a result of understanding this fact.
84. I am grateful for all the ways the universe wants to bless me.
85. I know I will be cradled in the arms of abundance if I approach this situation/experience/person with gratitude.
86. Whatever I observe, I have faith that the cosmos is working in my favor. I chose to view this period of my life as the best one I can have by using the eyes of gratitude.
87. My gratitude is eternal; it thrives in the face of adversity because I am ready to keep it alive in any situation.
88. The feeling of gratitude broadens my horizons and introduces me to new methods of living blissfully in this world; it’s as if the entire cosmos is contained within my heart.
89. I’m willing to recognize beauty where others don’t; I can see past the surface of a rock to see the diamond. I am grateful for the rocks and gems since life is a magnificent experience that encompasses everything.
90. My gratitude reaches far beyond my thoughts; I take each move and deed with a grateful heart.
91. I choose to be grateful for the new day’s light, as well as the newfound energy and strength to be the person I know I can be.
92. I shine the light of gratitude into an otherwise dark situation; no darkness can last long in that light.
93. I embrace my burdens and my blessings, and as a result, I can change my burdens into blessings.
94. Today, I choose to work with peace, and I do so via the power of gratitude.
95. I welcome the joy that seeks to emerge in my life, and I accept it gratefully right now.
96. I choose to perceive serenity. I’m willing to believe that everything in my life is precisely as it should be. I can take a deep breath and be grateful for what I have now.
97. My thankfulness is, in fact, an absolute magnet for the realization of whatever I desire.
98. I am grateful for having the universe on my side.
99. I am grateful for the well-being of my loved ones.
100. I am grateful for being a happy and warm-hearted person.